U.S. Ski & Snowboard has named eight athletes to the 2021 FIS Alpine Junior World Ski Championships Team to represent the U.S. Alpine Ski Team in Bansko, Bulgaria, in six events, from March 3-10.
The 2021 squad is derived from the U.S. B, C, D teams, and the U.S. Ski & Snowboard National Development Group, as well as top U.S. Ski & Snowboard club program athletes from across the nation. Headlining this year’s team are 2019 Junior Worlds’ silver medalists and FIS Ski World Cup mainstays, Ben Ritchie and AJ Hurt. Due to COVID, quotas have been halved from a normal year, according to the tea,
Though 2020 World Juniors at Narvik, Norway, were cut short due to the coronavirus outbreak, Keely Cashman led the way with three top-10 results, including bronze in the alpine combined. Hurt finished in sixth just behind Cashman in the super-G at worlds and has skied consistently strong on the World Cup, scoring points across four disciplines during the 2020-21 season (parallel, slalom, giant slalom, and super-G). Additionally, Nicola Rountree-Williams was the second-fastest U18 last year in the giant slalom, and Bradshaw Underhill had a top-10 super-G result, in ninth.
“We are sending a strong team to the World Junior Championships this year, with multiple medal contenders and a goal of being on the podium in the overall Hodler Cup team competition,” said Alpine Development Director Chip Knight. “Many of our athletes have been racing at the Europa Cup and World Cup levels in recent months, so they are well prepared to compete with their international peers. We are looking forward to a great event.”
The 2021 Junior Worlds will not include downhill, alpine combined, and team events but will feature men and women’s super-G, giant slalom, and slalom. Live timing will be provided by FIS.
2021 FIS ALPINE JUNIOR WORLD SKI CHAMPIONSHIPS TEAM
- AJ Hurt, Carnelian Bay, Calif.; Squaw Valley Ski Team (12/5/2000)
- Allie Resnick (Vail, Colo.; Ski & Snowboard Club Vail; 9/1/2001)
- Nicola Rountree-Williams, Edwards, Colo.; Independent/Private (7/7/2002)
- Zoe Zimmermann, Gilford, N.H.; Burke Mountain Academy (5/16/2002)
- Isaiah Nelson, Wayzata, MN.; Buck Hill Ski Racing Club (4/3/2001)
- Cooper Puckett, Steamboat Springs, Colo.; Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club (3/31/2003)
- Ben Ritchie, Waitsfield, Vt.; Green Mountain Valley School (9/5/2000)
- Bradshaw Underhill, Newbury, N.H.; Killington Mountain School (3/10/2000)
BANSKO 2021 COMPETITION SCHEDULE
March 3 – Men’s super-G
March 4 – Men’s giant slalom
March 5 – Men’s slalom
March 8 – Women’s super-G
March 9 – Women’s giant slalom
March 10 – Women’s slalom